Monday, October 31, 2011

Stupid Dangerous Experiments I Perform On Myself

Obviously, some people will look at me and wonder why the hell I would ever fast for 10 days. I am a pretty utilitarian person with an overconfidence in my body and mind. So doing that kind of experiment was first, economical, and secondly, taught me something more about my body. But now, Japan has done something awful. Something that the economical, health-unconcious person I am can't refuse.

All-You-Can-Eat Whoppers.

Starting today, I will eat my day's worth of calories in just 30 minutes for the next 15 days. This really isn't a question of if I can even manage to eat that much in 30 minutes. My friends should be able to attest to my ability to eat large quantities of food in a short period. The question I am wondering is how unbelievably unhealthy will this be for me.

My cholesterol levels will absolutely skyrocket, I am sure. Now, while the fasting decreased my weight and in some senses may have even cleansed my body, this experiment is pretty much the opposite in every sense. I will not cleanse my body with highly processed meat and cheese. I will not lose weight. I think without the right precautions, this could be considered a serious risk to my heart. With this in mind, I've done a little research.

The Whopper:
670 calories (33.5%) 75mg cholesterol (25%)
11g sat. fat (55%) 11g sugar (27.5%)
51g carbs (17%) 40g fat (61.5%)
1g trans fat(~!%) 28g protein (56%)
980mg sodium (42.6%)


Daily Recommended Nutritional Values:
2000 calories 300mg cholesterol
20g sat. fat 40g sugar
300g carbs 65g fat
-g trans fat 50g protein
2300mg sodium

After looking up the recommended value for trans fat, I was surprised to find that "There is no adequate level, recommended daily amount or tolerable upper limit for trans fats. This is because any incremental increase in trans fat intake increases the risk of coronary heart disease." on Wikipedia. Just to give you a perspective on how much a gram is, 8 grams is about the weight of a plastic lighter you can buy in a convenience store. That's kind of a lot when you think about it, because by tomorrow, I will have consumed at least that much trans fat.

Since I can expect to seriously put my health at risk, I would like to take some benchmarks. If I'm lucky, I will find a self test kit in a pharmacy around here. If I can't and because this opportunity kind of snuck up on me, the best I'm going to be able to do is to have a physical check up which is already scheduled for the 12th of this month. This is going to be a lot like Supersize Me, but with me not being an idiot and not doing what I can to reduce the health risks despite.

If I'm lucky, this may actually help me make a healthy change in my life. A greater understanding of cholesterol and diet, and better workout regimen could have lasting beneficial effects supposing I don't have a heart attack between now and the end of the Burger King campaign.


Damn you Burger King... I'll go to your fatty hell and back. Damn you...

No comments:

Post a Comment