Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm Out Beta'd

I've played this game pretty fervently lately. Here's what I've got to say to the developers. I know Mr. Developer that you're reading a ton of these, so I'll try and make it as dense as possible.

Computer Specs -
AMD Athalon(tm) II X4 620 Processor 2.59 GHz
Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB Graphics Card
A790GXH ASRock Motherboard

Very Typical Errors:

DX Error - Invalid Call. Occurs when I alt-tab back into the game every time without fail.

Event - Dark Concoction - Full text can not be seen and I was given the option of Will I ------------------ Incomplete text. I said yes and now I have some awesomely powerful potion that does something, but seems pretty evil. I just have no idea what it is or what I should do with it.

Money issues - Sometimes I'll notice I'll have enough money for a purchase, and I'll agree to the purchase, and it might send me into the negatives.

Things become invisible. If I'm lucky it'll will appear again when I move to a different city and back.

Loaded up an old game: I had no tiles to build on, so I deleted a garden, and replanted one somewhere else, deleted another garden, and it froze. This problem only happened once though.


The HUD: It seems great, I like the openness and the fact that the buttons don't clutter my screen like old school Starcraft does, what with taking up about a fifth of the screen. That said however, I don't find some things intuitive. My city and people tabs in the upper left hand corner especially - About this particular topic: Sometimes my cities will pop up and show their growth, seemingly at random. I don't understand why sometimes it's highlighted and why sometimes it's not. Perhaps it's my lack of understanding.

Another thing I'd like to see more of in the HUD - Going back to the city and people tabs, I would really like to see a rollover text of the name, or keep a name next to it, in fine unobtrusive text. Once I've got 5 cities or so going, it can be a task of going to the one I've been focusing on developing, and to deal with it I find myself going through each city to get back to the one I was looking for.


Gameplay Issues - Grouping characters and attacking big enemies, like the bone golem: It seems like everybody at the farther end of the group gets killed, while some don't even get a scratch. Just seems a big unfair to see General C. chillin' in the back as his soldiers charge a massive golem, leaving him last man standing to give a quick finishing blow and claim all the glory.

I'll be commenting on other portions of the game later. Good luck with the fixes and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment